You will never need to buy yogurt again! This means a few extra dollars in your pocket and less plastic in the world. This recipe give a creamy and rich yogurt without any added sugars. You do not need dried cultures to start, simply use your favourite brand of plain greek yogurt! Only 3 ingredients and less than five minutes to prepare.
I use an electronic multicooker with a yogurt fonction (something like an Instant Pot, I have the Philips All-in-One Cooker). You could use a yogurt maker or even your oven with just the light turned on (but I haven’t tried that and you might need to bring the milk to 40 degrees Celsius first).
I usually start my yogurt before going to bed and it’s ready by the morning. Then, my multicooker is free during the day to make all sorts of delicious meals, like curries, soups, stews or brown rice in 15 minutes!
Makes 1.2 kg
Preparation < 5 minutes
Cooking/Resting 8 hours
- 1 L long life full cream milk (or you can try lite milk) AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 150 g (1/3 cup) plain greek yogurt (no added sugar or fruits)
- 75 g (2/3 cup) skim instant milk powder (or full cream milk powder)
- In the inner pot of the multicooker, whisk the 3 ingredients.
- Set to “yogurt” fonction (40 degrees Celsius) for 8 hours (you can vary the time, longer will increase acidity of the yogurt).
- Once finished, put the inner pot in a bath of cold water and whisk for about 3 minutes.
- Cool down completely the yogurt in the refrigerator.
- Set aside 150g of your yogurt for your next batch.
You can easily double or triple this recipe, simply whisk the milk powder with one litre of milk first, then add the rest of the milk. Make sure you save enough yogurt for your next larger batch.
If the inner pot of your multicooker is non-stick, make sure you don’t use a metal whisk.